At Bay Dental Group, in Sault Ste. Marie, your oral health is our top priority. We use our dental technology to identify diseases before they become serious.
What is Gum Disease (Gingivitis)?
Gum disease, or gingivitis, is inflammation of the tissues surrounding and supporting the teeth and is most commonly a result of poor dental hygiene. Gingivitis is a very common condition and varies widely in severity.
A person with gingivitis will typically have one or more of the following signs and symptoms:
- Bright red, swollen gums that bleed very easily, even during brushing or flossing
- A bad taste or mouth odour
- White spots or plaque on the gums
- Gums that look like they're pulling away from the teeth
- Pus between gums or teeth
- A change in the way the teeth fit together
Written by Lori Allen, Registered Dental Hygienist